Growing our whaanau to whaanau community impact
Covid-19 exacerbated and accentuated the digital, economic, knowledge, and social divide and the inequity experienced by the Papakura community. Our Whaanau team has been at the forefront, responding to the overwhelming needs emerging within our community.
Families Reported Increased Rates of:
- Anxiety regarding physical well-being and concern regarding their family member contracting covid-19.
- Stress and mental health issues.
- Domestic violence, alcohol or other drug use.
- Financial worry and increased debts associated with food and utility bills.
- Young people disengaged from online and school-based learning.
Kootuitui Whaanau Strand and volunteers believe that without positive intervention and support, the impact of covid-19 will have far-reaching consequences for the wider community, particularly our young people’s ability to achieve their goals and maximise their future potential.
In response, the Whaanau team has identified the need to expand their capacity and capability to provide increased support solutions to promote whaanau resilience and tino rangatiratanga.
To achieve this, the human and financial resources available to our Whaanau strand will increase across the term of this strategic plan, better enabling the team to provide holistic, wraparound, individualised support & education to empower whaanau to self-determine and achieve their physical, financial and emotional wellbeing.
We benefit from the support of funders, partners and community organisations, and the commitment of the schools’ boards, leaders, teachers and staff.